Jul 25, 2011

Thüringen Rundfahrt der Frauen 2011

Juvéderm-Specialized-Mazda was extremely happy to participate in the 2011 edition of the UCI Thüringen Rundfahrt der Frauen.  The 7 day, 6 stage (plus, a team time trial prologue) took place in the region of Thüringen.  The riders were housed at the 4 Star Altenburger hotel in Altenburg.  The race courses were very hilly, and the calibre of the peloton was high.  Many of the best female road cyclists in the world were on the start list.

I had never been to Germany before, and was very impressed by the quality of the roads, the beauty of the scenery, the enthusiasm of the race fans and spectators, and the hospitality and friendliness of the people who live in the area.  My father and his family are from Germany, so it was extra special for me to race the Thüringen Rundfahrt because I have wanted to visit Germany ever since I was a little girl.

I am getting used to racing in Europe again after having been away for a year.  I let myself get dropped off of the back a few too many times in the descents, which I normally enjoy riding.  I crashed on the second stage of the race, but luckily only mangled my elbow a bit.  It just became an issue on the final stage when we had to power over a relatively long cobbled section 4 times, and when I pre-rode it, the vibrations made my arm feel like it was being bashed by a baseball bat.  Our mechanic Erik helped me tape the arm up like a champ before the start, and it wasn't an issue. 

 There were a few very rainy days, and we ended up having to wash our own clothes in our hotel sink.  Our team didn't have a big team bus with a washer and dryer.  But that's just fine, it's all part of the adventure, right?
Denise Ramsden finished in 6th place on the second road stage after being a part of the winning break for the whole day.  She finished second place in the U23 competition as well.  Good job Juvéderm-Specialized-Mazda! 



We're all back in Belgium now.  We'll leave in two days for our next stop: Two World Cup races in Sweden.

2 comments:

  1. hi patrick you hello l am full deaf and sing you like wonem good fit cycling l have like cycling l am edinbuegh scotland email patrickdavies82@yahoo.com or patrickdavies@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news Lex. I am glad you are OK!!! Keep in touch:)
    Steve, Claudia, Tyler and Gabby

    ReplyDelete