May 23, 2014

Coffeshop Rides Makes You Stronger

Every year I try to get better, stronger, faster, and smarter.  The aspect of training that has given me the biggest step up - believe it or not - is resting.  When it's time to go hard, it's pedal-to-the-metal (or medal...in an athlete's case)  When it's time to rest - there's no going halfway.
J. Knotzke www.shampoo.ca
One of my easy day activities is coffeshop riding.  I pedal without much resistance.  I would get dropped by a kid on a trike if I was riding with them.  But I'm not riding with anyone who is going faster than me on a coffeeshop ride day. So, it never counts as getting dropped.  I know a whole crew of riders who can't handle being overtaken by another cyclist.  I'm telling you, you'll be stronger once you can. 

Spinning easy, I "flush my legs out", loosening them up from the previous days' hard efforts.  My destination is usually 45 minutes away, either in a direct line, or winding around the city, through streets and neighbourhoods that I don't typically explore.   Coffeeshop rides are for discovering
Sometimes I choose a route that goes through some of my toughest training spots.  Pedaling through easily is good for me psychologically.  It's a reminder that I don't always have to be in the pain cave, cross-eyed and loopy-minded on those particular streets.  It's how we maintain a good relationship, those areas and I.  Coffeeshop rides are for enjoying, zen-style.


In the summer I try to visit many small, independant coffeeshops in Montréal.  I have my old favourites, and there are always new ones to discover.  I order the same thing every time - espresso.  No messing with sugar or milk; straight-up, and short.  I talk to whoever's on the patio and wants to chat.  About anything.  When I train, I don't talk to anybody.  I push hard on the pedals until the job is done.  Coffeeshop rides are for socializing.



The coffee itself is like the icing on the cake for the easy ride.  Taking a break for a day and having no power numbers to hit, on intervals to push through, or races to think about is a good thing for the heart, the legs and the soul.  Cœur Jambes Esprit!



1 comment:

  1. Wow, thank for that reminder. I keep forgetting how important is to have a rest day/s or just go on an easy spin/coffee shop discovering adventure (by the way I am totally stealing that idea :))

    ReplyDelete